- Britain covered in SNOW on the first day of the May bank holiday - but a heatwave is on the way and by next week the country is set to bask in temperatures even hotter than ISTANBUL
- North Yorkshire aircraft crash sees two casualties feared near Castle Howard
- Khloe Kardashian shares photo of her knee 'growing a brain'... after she hurt it falling 'going up the stairs'
- Rita Ora flaunts her toned legs in sexy red ensemble in the wake of Jay Z cheating rumours
- Kim Kardashian caught using her phone whilst driving as she runs errands Los Angeles
- Vanessa Hudgens flashes her pierced belly button in a slinky metallic crop top and matching trousers as she rocks wild boho curls at nightclub launch
- Mischa Barton displays her flat stomach in a white bikini during a sultry beach photoshoot... after enjoying cosy 'date night' with DWTS partner Artem Chigvintsev
- Victor Valdes returns to Manchester United after Standard Liege terminate his loan deal
- Panic as dolphin leaps out of water into boat of stunned tourists
- Saturday Kitchen viewers call Travis singer Fran Healy 'dull' as he appears on just TWO hours sleep
TLC's Extreme Cheapskates family of four who stick to $1,000 monthly budget
More from Woman
- Student who had not cut hair in FIVE YEARS and rarely wore make-up gets a makeover
- Bored Panda shares hilarious examples of advertising fails on the internet
- Blogger's 'Dads don't babysit' T-shirt challenges parenting stereotypes
- Alice + Olivia designer Stacey Bendet shows off her body as she does upside-down yoga
- 'Chubby girl' Rease Kirchner who works out SIX TIMES a week hits back at critics
- Best Asian Sexy Girls Gallery, Let's check it out !
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 12:14 EST, 4 November 2013 | UPDATED: 16:18 EST, 4 November 2013
A family of four show how they keep their monthly spend down to just $1,000 in a new episode of TLC's Extreme Cheapskates.
Melody and Ron Rose Gravitt, who live in Talihina, Oklahoma, with their two sons, reveal in a trailer for the show, that their favorite cost-cutting techniques include sharing the same bath water and using free newspaper in place of shop-bought toilet paper.
However, their children seem less enthused about their strict budgeting, and in one clip 15-year-old Brandon tells viewers: 'Sometimes I do actually want to take my own shower. [But I] can't really do it much because my parents like to save water.'
Scroll down for video
Thrifty: A family of four show how they keep their monthly spend down to $1,000 in a new episode of TLC's Extreme Cheapskates - here Melody Rose Gravitt shows how she uses free newspaper in place of toilet paper
Indeed, one frame shows his nine-year old brother, Ronnie taking a bath in his parents' water, which appears to have turned a shade of brown.
However, his mother brushes over this, telling him: 'Oh my goodness, looks like you've had a good time. You smell good!'
According to EnidNews.com, Mrs Rose Gravitt was contacted by TLC to appear on Extreme Cheapskates after they spotted her blog CountryFieldHicks.com, which is all about frugal living.
Rub-a-dub: The family also share the same bath water - here nine-year-old Ronnie is seen taking a plunge in the rather brown-looking tub after his mother and father
In July 2012 she details how she managed to cut hundreds of dollars from her household expenses.
For example, her home does not have internet or cable, an outside well provides water and everything is powered by electricity so there is no gas or propane bill.
'Okay, don't freak but I own just three pairs of pants. All three are black pants that can be worn with anything'
On the food front, they go grocery shopping once a month, stocking on bulk goods, and eating out occurs once-a-month with a trip to McDonald's.
On a normal day they make pancakes, breakfast burritos or cereal for breakfast, sandwich or soup for lunch and a cooked meal for supper.
She continues: 'We make our own dishwasher detergent, our own detergent for washing clothes, and our own fabric softener liquid.
Spreading the word: Mrs Rose Gravitt proudly describes herself as a 'hillbilly cheapskate'
Cutting back: Man of the house, Ron says his wife will do anything to not spend a dollar
'I clean with bleach or vinegar. There are ways you can cut out a huge chunk of your monthly bill here if you try.'
When it comes to clothing, Mrs Rose Gravitt says that she prefers practical items.
'I clean with bleach or vinegar. There are ways you can cut out a huge chunk of your monthly bill here if you try'
'Okay, don't freak but I own just three pairs of pants,' she writes.
'All three are black pants that can be worn with anything. I own four dresses and probably 15 tops.
'That's it. Why? Because I do not need more. I can get by with that. And shoes, well I own two pairs of shoes and one pair of boots.
'My husband and boys have about the same number of clothes and shoes.'
But all of the thriftiness paid off, as Mrs Rose Gravitt told EnidNews.com that the family took a cruise two years ago.
Sick of not spending: 'Sometimes I do actually want to take my own shower,' says the teenager
She said she cried when they prepared for the exotic vacation, because she had to buy a new dress for dinner.
'I cried. It took a week. It hurt to spend the money on myself.’
In the upcoming episode of TLC's Extreme Cheapskates she proudly describes herself as a 'Hillbilly cheapskate.'
'If I can get anything for free, I'd rather do that anytime than shoveling a dollar,' she explains.