- Rihanna Collections
- South Africa vs England SCORECARD LIVE: Follow the second ODI in Port Elizabeth
- Australia level one-day series against New Zealand as Mitchell Marsh stars with bat and ball to secure four-wicket win
- Neymar to Manchester City? Pep Guardiola wants Barcelona superstar to be his first major signing when he arrives at Etihad
- Jamie Vardy is a threat but he's no 'killer' like Sergio Aguero, Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart gears up for key clash
- England duo George Ford and Owen Farrell practice their kicking at Murrayfield ahead of Six Nations opener against Scotland
- Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal insists 'sparkling football' is down to his philosophy as he prepares for Chelsea trip
- Real Madrid eye Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and could make him the second highest earner at the club behind Cristiano Ronaldo
- Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet vows to get 'nasty' against opposition players
- Apple's software update 'Error 53' could kill your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus
Powerball jackpot hits $400M, making it the fifth-largest in the U.S
More from News
- Apple's software update 'Error 53' could kill your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus
- Esmeralda Labye sexually assaulted live on air tells of groping at Cologne carnival
- Gun salutes to mark queen's accession to the throne
- 'draconian' crackdown on charities lobbying ministers with taxpayers' money
- Syrians flee to Turkish border as Aleppo assault intensifies
- Best Asian Sexy Girls Gallery, Let's check it out !
- Error 53: iPhones 'Disabled' If Apple Detects Repairs Have Been Carried Out By Third Party
- Enjoy Breathtaking Coastal Views And Your Very Own Taste Of Hawaii At Newly Refurbished Park Plaza Arena Pula
- Oktoberfest, Apple Strudel And... Palm Trees! Inside The Traditional German Alpine Village In The Middle Of A Tropical Forest In VENEZUELA
- Five (5) Ways To Make Your Life Easier Using Binder Clips
- The Nine Popular Tourist Holiday Destinations With Shockingly High Murder Rates
- Yawning Is MORE Contagious Among Women Due To Their Higher Levels Of Empathy
- Here's How Science Can Help You Make The Perfect Nacho Cheese - Just In Time For Budweiser Super Bowl
- See Cheeky Puppy Play Dead In Hilarious Bid To Avoid Bath Time
- 10 Interview Question Responses You Should Know Off By Heart
- Are You Groundhog Dating? The 14 Steps To Take To Break The Habit Of Being With The SAME Type Of Man And Meet Mr Right
- Polar Bear Teaches Her Cubs To Swim In Canada In Amazing Photos
- THIS Is What 52 Looks Like! Ruth Wilkinson Shares Her Tips On Staying Young
- Ten Most Viewed Properties For Sale Have 60 Bedrooms Between Them And Are Worth £75 Million
- Jordon Cox Exposed Rip-Off Fares And Now He Can Save You A Fortune
- Three Chihuahuas Have Become Instagram Stars With Decadent Photos Of Them Quaffing Champagne, Having Makeovers And Even Bodybuilding
- Warning Over Cherry Flavoured E-Cigarettes: Study Finds They Irritate The Airways More Than Other Types - And Even Tobacco
- 'Welcome To Dumpsville!' Spurned Lovers Take To Reddit To Share Break-Up Stories
- Daredevil Performs Handstand On The Edge Of Skyscraper Roof In Terrifying Footage
- 11 Best Luxury Anti-Ageing Creams You Can Buy On The High Street
- Joy As Coxless Crew Complete Their 9,200 Mile Pacific Ocean Row
- A Cat Who Just Can’t Stop Staring But No One Knows What It's Staring At
- Georgian Mansion That Inspired Thomas Hardy Hits The Market For £3.25million: Former Vicarage Set In Nine Acres With Its Own Lake And Paddocks Was Backdrop In The Woodlanders
- Couple Celebrate 82-Year Wedding Anniversary And Reveal How They Made It Last
- Valentine's Day 2016: 10 Romantic City Break Deals Just In Time For February 14
- Bobbi Kristina's family finally make peace in Whitney Houston daughter's 'final days'
- Nicki Minaj brings her mom on stage to thank her at The 2015 BET Awards
- Justin Bieber enjoys evening out in Hollywood with Joel Houston
- 'This is more than I can handle — I'm never going to sing again': Shania Twain reveals how her husband's affair with her best friend nearly ended her career
- Jennifer Lawrence slips into very low-cut lacy LBD for dinner with her mother Karen after casual day of apartment hunting
- Caitlyn Jenner, 65, is only too happy to fill her closet during new clip of I Am Cait
- A $400 million winning ticket in the latest Powerball drawing was sold in Lexington, South Carolina
- Winning numbers were 7-10-22-32-35 with the Powerball of 19
- Mega Millions is also changing its rules to create less huge wins and more smaller, but still hefty prizes
By Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 06:28 EST, 19 September 2013 | UPDATED: 06:30 EST, 19 September 2013
A $400 million winning ticket in the latest Powerball drawing - the nation's fifth-largest ever - was sold in Lexington in central South Carolina, officials say.
Lottery officials said that the ticket was sold at the Murphy USA station. The winning numbers drawn Wednesday night were 7-10-22-32-35 with the Powerball of 19.
The actual value is $399.4 million, with a direct cash option of $233 million.
Bob Knowles buys a Powerball ticket on Tuesday in Des Moines, Iowa, to be in to win the $400m jackpot
It's the largest Powerball winning ticket sold in South Carolina and the fourth largest in the history of the game.
South Carolina also had a $1 million winning ticket sold at a gasoline station in Hampton. That ticket matched the first five numbers.
In May, a Florida widow won the biggest Powerball jackpot in history - a $590 million pot.
The game's rules were changed in early 2012 to boost payoffs and now organizers of the country's other big lottery, Mega Millions, are planning changes of their own.
Although Mega Millions still holds the record for the largest jackpot in U.S. history - a $656 million prize in March 2012 - organizers are hoping to more regularly see huge jackpots by lessening the odds of winning big while upping a player's shot at smaller but still hefty prizes.
Laric Elbert shows his Powerball ticket, in Des Moines, Iowa, ahead of the jackpot
Mega Millions doesn't plan to change its $1 ticket price, but an extra $1 option already in the game will be expanded to allow players to increase their secondary prize total to between $1 million and $5 million, a major increase from $250,000.
Game changes also include boosting the starting jackpot from $12 million to $15 million, and allowing the jackpot to grow by at least $5 million between drawings when no top winner is selected.
It's those jackpots, not the name on the game, that ultimately draw in 45-year-old Trent Shenefield
'Depends on what's up the highest,' the electrician said Tuesday while at a QuickTrip convenience store in suburban Kansas City. 'I guess everyone wants to win the big one.'
But fellow lottery player Bob Knowles, a school bus driver in Iowa, said the changes didn't really matter.
The 62-year-old said he purchases tickets for both games several times a week and would be happy with any jackpot.
'That's nice, but I don't care. I can get by with $10 million. I can get by with $3 million,' he said after buying Powerball tickets at a grocery store in Des Moines.
TOP 10 HIGHEST JACKPOTS EVER IN THE U.S
The Powerball jackpot is now the FIFTH biggest in U.S. history
1. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (3 tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
2. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (1 ticket from Florida)
3. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (2 tickets from Arizona and Missouri)
4. $400 million, Powerball, (drawing scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 7; jackpot could grow)
5. $390 million, Mega Millions, March 6, 2007 (2 tickets from Georgia and New Jersey)
6. $380 million, Mega Millions, Jan. 4, 2011 (2 tickets from Idaho and Washington)
7. $365 million, Powerball, Feb. 18, 2006 (1 ticket from Nebraska)
8. $363 million, The Big Game, May 9, 2000 (2 tickets from Illinois and Michigan)
9. $340 million, Powerball, Oct. 19, 2005 (1 ticket from Oregon)
10. $338.3 million, Powerball, March 23, 2013 (1 ticket from New Jersey)
She noted that both games are now sold side by side, as part of a 2010 licensing agreement, in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
'It's great to have both games available to players and to have drawings four nights a week. I think that the two games complement each other,' Otto said.
The Iowa-based Multi-State Lottery Association is operated by 33 state lotteries that help oversee Powerball. Mega Millions has no central office and is run by individual state lotteries that handle their own accounting matters.
'I applaud them for looking at changes,' said Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich. 'You need to revise, you need to refresh. Any good, big company knows that you need to revitalize your product.'
Here are some things to keep in mind ahead of Wednesday night's Powerball jackpot drawing.
1. THE ODDS
Remember, a person's odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175 million. That's how many combinations are possible with the game's five white balls and one red ball. In this case, there have been 11 drawings since August 10 without a winner.
2. BIG JACKPOTS
A major revamp in January 2012 increased the cost of a Powerball ticket from $1 to $2. It also led to larger jackpots in smaller amounts of time. Of the top 10 Powerball jackpots of all time, nearly half have been recorded after the game change.
3. CONSOLATION PRIZE
Since the revamp, a secondary $1 million prize has made some losers happy anyway. More than 730 people have won $1 million, and more than 120 people have won $2 million through the Power Play option.
4. WHY WAIT FOR THE HYPE?
There's technically no need to wait for a larger jackpot. Whether the jackpot is $40 million or $400 million, your odds of winning the top prize are the same.
Whether you buy 1 ticket or 10 tickets, your odds are pretty much the same. A higher jackpot just means there's a higher chance there will be more than one winning ticket.
5. SOMEONE IS GOING TO WIN
The chance of a person's combination being selected remains astronomically high, though the chance that some set of six numbers will be selected is 1. That means even though your chances of winning are slim, the chances that someone else will win are high.
Ronald Wasserstein, executive director of the American Statistical Association, said that's what makes people think it could be them. When it's probably not.
6. AGAIN, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN
Remember, you're probably not going to win. Wasserstein said it's hard for people to grasp how small their chances actually are, since no one can really see 175 million of anything.
Wasserstein tries to break it down. Take 175 million one-dollar bills and lay them out. Pick one lucky dollar bill that will win you all $175 million.
You can line up those dollar bills twice along the edges of the continental United States.
Or you can cover 380 football fields. Imagine picking the one lucky dollar bill from those fields, and that's your chance of winning the Powerball jackpot on a single ticket.