- Mugabe Firm Bombing: Top Suspect Confesses
- Mujuru Aide ATTACKS Tsvangirai
- REVEALED: Reason Behind Charamba, Moyo War
- One Night Of Hot Sex Ends In Disaster
- Denver Broncos keen to make 'Papa' Wade Phillips proud ahead of Super Bowl 50
- Hillary Clinton reminds New Hampshire Democrats of their history
- Joey Feek's husband Rory shares Instagram images of daughter Indiana
- Las Vegas couple claims they ALMOST won the $915m Powerball
- Sons of Chris Christie's ally John Sheridan want murder-suicide ruling overturned
- Christopher O'Kroley who 'shot dead his co-worker' says killing the woman was 'easy'
NOAA Hurricane: 6 Atlantic Storms Stronger Than Sandy Predicted This Summer
More from News
- Oktoberfest, Apple Strudel And... Palm Trees! Inside The Traditional German Alpine Village In The Middle Of A Tropical Forest In VENEZUELA
- Five (5) Ways To Make Your Life Easier Using Binder Clips
- The Nine Popular Tourist Holiday Destinations With Shockingly High Murder Rates
- Yawning Is MORE Contagious Among Women Due To Their Higher Levels Of Empathy
- Here's How Science Can Help You Make The Perfect Nacho Cheese - Just In Time For Budweiser Super Bowl
- See Cheeky Puppy Play Dead In Hilarious Bid To Avoid Bath Time
- 10 Interview Question Responses You Should Know Off By Heart
- Are You Groundhog Dating? The 14 Steps To Take To Break The Habit Of Being With The SAME Type Of Man And Meet Mr Right
- Polar Bear Teaches Her Cubs To Swim In Canada In Amazing Photos
- THIS Is What 52 Looks Like! Ruth Wilkinson Shares Her Tips On Staying Young
- Ten Most Viewed Properties For Sale Have 60 Bedrooms Between Them And Are Worth £75 Million
- Jordon Cox Exposed Rip-Off Fares And Now He Can Save You A Fortune
- Three Chihuahuas Have Become Instagram Stars With Decadent Photos Of Them Quaffing Champagne, Having Makeovers And Even Bodybuilding
- Warning Over Cherry Flavoured E-Cigarettes: Study Finds They Irritate The Airways More Than Other Types - And Even Tobacco
- 'Welcome To Dumpsville!' Spurned Lovers Take To Reddit To Share Break-Up Stories
- Daredevil Performs Handstand On The Edge Of Skyscraper Roof In Terrifying Footage
- 11 Best Luxury Anti-Ageing Creams You Can Buy On The High Street
- Joy As Coxless Crew Complete Their 9,200 Mile Pacific Ocean Row
- A Cat Who Just Can’t Stop Staring But No One Knows What It's Staring At
- Georgian Mansion That Inspired Thomas Hardy Hits The Market For £3.25million: Former Vicarage Set In Nine Acres With Its Own Lake And Paddocks Was Backdrop In The Woodlanders
- Couple Celebrate 82-Year Wedding Anniversary And Reveal How They Made It Last
- Valentine's Day 2016: 10 Romantic City Break Deals Just In Time For February 14
- Bobbi Kristina's family finally make peace in Whitney Houston daughter's 'final days'
- Nicki Minaj brings her mom on stage to thank her at The 2015 BET Awards
- Justin Bieber enjoys evening out in Hollywood with Joel Houston
- 'This is more than I can handle — I'm never going to sing again': Shania Twain reveals how her husband's affair with her best friend nearly ended her career
- Jennifer Lawrence slips into very low-cut lacy LBD for dinner with her mother Karen after casual day of apartment hunting
- Caitlyn Jenner, 65, is only too happy to fill her closet during new clip of I Am Cait
- 50 Inch Fake Butt On Detroit Factory Worker Makes White Folks Say “We Thought Her Booty Was Ghetto-Fabulous!
- Captain Save-A-Storch: Broke Azz Music Producer Says Chris Brown, Rick Ross And Tyga Will Get Him Paid
The Atlantic Ocean could experience as many as six major hurricanes this summer more powerful than Super Storm Sandy, according the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Super Storm Sandy ravaged the East Coast as a Category 2 hurricane last November. NOAA is predicting three to six hurricanes at Category 3 levels, with sustained winds of 110 miles per hour.
Super Storm Sandy caused $75 billion in damage in late October, the costliest storm since Hurricane Katrina. The storm accounted for at least 147 deaths across the Caribbean to the Eastern Seaboard.
For the six-month hurricane season, which begins June 1, NOAA’s Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook says there is a 70 percent likelihood of 13 to 20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 7 to 11 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes.
“With the devastation of Sandy fresh in our minds, and another active season predicted, everyone at NOAA is committed to providing life-saving forecasts in the face of these storms and ensuring that Americans are prepared and ready ahead of time,” Kathryn Sullivan, NOAA’s acting administrator. “As we saw first-hand with Sandy, it’s important to remember that tropical storm and hurricane impacts are not limited to the coastline. Strong winds, torrential rain, flooding, and tornadoes often threaten inland areas far from where the storm first makes landfall.”
Hurricane season continues to Nov. 30. Factors in favor of a busy season include above average Atlantic and Caribbean ocean temperatures, lower than average pressures and wind shear, and a present multi-decadal pattern of elevated hurricane activity that commenced in 1995 (and expected to last 25-40 years), Sullivan said.
“There are no mitigating factors that would suppress the activity,” said Gerry Bell, lead outlook forecaster. “El Nino is not expected to develop this year. All factors point to an active or very active hurricane season.”
As alarming as these numbers might be, NOAA officials stress they cannot predict the number of hurricanes that will actually strike U.S. soil. The last major hurricane to make landfall in the U.S., Wilma, struck in 2005. Since then, a total of five Category 1 or 2 storms (with winds up to 100 mph) have hit the U.S.
On Monday, NOAA predicted a below-normal hurricane season for the Central Pacific Basin.